#122 Flork Reviews: Samsara - Charon's Lullaby (2024)

  Samsara - Charon's Lullaby By Flork Emerging from the remnants of the Black Death Metal band MORS OMNIA SOLVIT in 2009 (which is a la...

Najčítanejšie za 7 dní

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

#89 Flork Reviews: Zapaska – Pomalu (2016)


Zapaska – Pomalu (2016)

by Flork
 

Not long ago, the Ukrainian duo Zapaska (Pavlo Nechitaylo and Jana Shpachynska) played alongside their Slovak counterparts Longital at the Pink Whale in Bratislava. And as much as I would love to review this performance, unfortunately I can't. Why? Well, for one thing, I wasn't there. I kick myself for missing them (both bands actually). Zapaska is not new to performing in Slovakia, in fact, they have built up a sizeable audience with fans since performing at the Pohoda festival in 2014. They returned after a long delay to Pohoda again in 2023 and continuously tour around their home country and Europe. And as the final days of summer approach, the old Florkster finds himself once again in the hills of Western Ukraine, spending a week visiting old friends and making new ones, as well as getting some much needed dental work.

And as I begin to eat my second helping of vareniki (or perogies as we call them in English), a feeling of hope and nostalgia overcomes me, something these days I only experience here, in Ukraine. Perhaps it's the environment I am immersed in, where the Carpathian hills leave my adopted home of Slovakia and extend for a brief moment as they curve south and then east, rising mightily at their final destination in Transylvania. I think about all the bands I've reviewed since joining Jablka, with all the tales of witches and demons who dwell in the Carpathians, and the trees that conceal their secrets. I've always enjoyed and appreciated the incorporation of folk elements in music, whether it is black metal or pop or whatever. Today, however, I am listening to Zapaska, with their 2016 album Pomalu (Step by Step) playing the duo's blend of dream-pop, jazz and folklore from my bluetooth speaker.

If you have never listened to Zapaska, I encourage you to do so. They have a couple previous Ep releases and two full-length album releases (including Pomalu) since they began around 2009. Pomalu begins with the title track, a well-thought composition that is simple in nature, but with intricate instrumentation and delicate vocals. This is such a cool song, both jazzy and bluesy with Jana's vocals adding touches of beauty and depth in the refrains. The album maintains a level throughout where each composition could be considered the best track on the album. Harno (Beautiful) follows and is full of washes of sound from the keyboards and pedals with the light acoustic guitar sounds creating a celestial landscape of birds and flowers, much like here in Zakarpatia.

Zapaska do not employ real drums in their music, but rather a drum machine and other percussions. And they make this work well as it hardly sounds electronic, instead just a subtle background beat. All of the songs are sung in Ukrainian, although they have sung in English in the past. To be honest, I am not quite sure which language the final track Generosity is sung in, it may be English, but no matter, it is beautiful as it is. 


Whether Zapaska have plans for a new album release this year or next, I cannot tell you nor find any information at the moment. But they tour frequently and 2023 has been a busy year for them and you should be able to find out from their website where their next perforfance takes place. For the moment, I am content listening to Pomalu. Songs like Chuhajstra, Zapytajsia, and Vikna Vidchynyty are catchy and addictive, receiving frequent clicks of the repeat button. I also need to note that Pavlo too is an amazing singer (Svarka) and thus their chemistry and resulting chemical reactions heard in the compositions are more than magical. Pomalu is sung predominantly by Jana, but I think this is more because the songs are better suited for her voice and style. Or perhaps this is just a natural part of the evolution of their sound in general, either way I like it. The remaining songs of the 10-track album are all outstanding on their own.

And so, as I look out the window towards the low rolling hills of Zakarpatia here in Western Ukraine, I can't think of a better balance going on. The beauty of this music only enhances the beauty of Ukraine and is full of hope the country and world needs right now. I press the repeat button once more, but this time from the beginning of Pomalu. Listening to Zapaska is much like the vareniki I just devoured. I want a second helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment